5 Lessons from the Ultimate Reset
I just finished week 1 of the Ultimate Reset. Even though I’m only one third of the way through the program, I am already learning a few lessons! I am part of a group of about 20 people doing this together and I want to share some of the lessons from the group.
1. Most of us need to drink more water. The Ultimate Reset focuses on getting us to drink more water. We are drinking distilled water as part of the program. We are supposed to drink half of our body weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs, that’s 70 ounces a day. Since I am pouring my water out of gallon jugs, I have a better sense of how much water I am drinking. Before doing this program, I definitely wasn’t drinking enough for my body. This program has taught me that when I feel hungry, it is often because I’m THIRSTY. So, I would encourage you to try and measure your water to see if you are getting enough each day.
2. Mindless Eating Really Adds Up. Many of the participants in our group (including me) have reported that it’s really hard not to snack during the day and eat while we are preparing our food. I learned that I have a bad habit of taking a bite of anything that I am preparing in the kitchen and mindlessly snacking. Pay attention to those little bites throughout the day because they can really add up. I would estimate that my “bites” probably add up to about 200-300 calories a day.
3. We aren’t eating enough vegetables. I feel like I have eaten SO many vegetables this week. However, I believe our bodies were designed to have all of these dense nutrients on a regular basis. I reflect upon how my grandparents used to eat. They had a huge garden and would eat vegetables as a main part of their diet. They never bought a microwave or frozen meal in their life. It’s been a good reminder to me of not only how many more vegetables that I need to be eating but also how many more vegetables I need to be feeding my kids!
4. We don’t need caffeine. I have been off caffeine for a few weeks because I weaned myself off before starting the Ultimate Reset. I have learned that I DON’T need caffeine in my life! Yes, I really like coffee but I don’t need it. I actually feel like I have more energy and that it is more evenly regulated throughout the day. I used to get a jolt of energy in the morning after drinking the coffee but then I would fade in the afternoon and get really tired. Now, I feel like I have more regulated energy all day long. Many of the other participants have reported the same feeling.
5. We can all learn to eat cleaner. Our group consists of men and women of all ages, all walks of life, and different levels of health and fitness. We are all trying new recipes and learning about new foods. A lot of us have found recipes that we LOVE and will now incorporate regularly into our lives. No matter how “set in your ways” you are, trying the Ultimate Reset will help expose you to new ways of cooking, new recipes, and ways to eat cleaner.